Thursday, February 08, 2007

"If you are not confident, you will always find a reason not to win"

Say you have been accepted by a top-notch grad school in a foreign country (in this case, the U.S.). Say you're a little short on cash, but you need a visa. Suddenly things aren't looking so good. What do you do?

How about ... contact Career Services at your future grad school and see if they can put you in touch with an alum who now works at "Company X", which recruits there! With a dash of luck, a splash of charm, and a deluge of hubris, you'll be golden! Witness below (all names have been changed to protect the ... um ... innocent. We'll call them Jane and John):

***********************************************************************************

From: John
Sent: Thu 2/1/2007 7:35 AM
To: Jane @ Company X
Subject: resume of John(referred by Career Services Office of Grad School X)
Hi,
Please find my professional resume. Kindly confirm.
Thanks & Regards,John
Investment Banking Solutions Group
Company No One Has Ever Heard Of

"If you are not confident,you will always find a reason not to win"
***********************************************************************************
From: Jane @ Company X
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:53 PM
To: John
Subject: RE: resume of John (referred by Career Services Office of Grad School X)
Thank you for forwarding, John. I will do my best to get your resume into the right channels. Please don't hesitate to follow up with me - maybe in a week or two.
Jane
***********************************************************************************
From: John

Sent
: Wed 2/7/2007 6:52 AM

To: Jane @ Company X

Subject: RE: resume of John (referred by Career Services Office of Grad School X)


Hi Jane,

Sorry for asking you a little earlier. Do you need any other documents like proof of offer from Grad School X?
Regards,
John
"If you are not confident,you will always find a reason not to win"
***********************************************************************************
From: Jane @ Company X
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:37 PM
To: John
Subject: RE: resume of John(referred by Career Services Office of Grad School X)
John --
I just want to be sure that I have set your expectations appropriately. I am going to submit your resume into hiring channels. It will be the decision of the recruiters whether there is a hiring need that your experience can address.
Of what I know, the company does not sponsor graduate school unless the employee has worked for the firm for a few years and meets other very specific performance criteria.
As I learn more, I will be in touch, but I also do not want you to have unrealistic expectations.
Best,
Jane
***********************************************************************************

From: John
Sent: Wed 2/7/2007 11:42 PM
To: Jane @ Company X
Subject: RE: resume of John (referred by Career Services Office of Grad School X )
Hi Jane ,
Thanks for your comprehensive email.
Yes, I am aware that company does not sponser any students who did not work there.But I had seen in an internet page that Company X was providing scholarships for American students who are starting their studies..I may be wrong.
My expectations are
1. Company X should be ok with my joining for a few months and then taking a sabbatical for 2 years.
2.If they could give me some benefits regards to internship opportunities then it would be great.
Time is running out unfortunately and I have come up with some thing to get I-20 and study at Grad School X .
I am ready for any interview at any time.
Btw how were the master's program, internship opportunities and international exposure?
Regards,
John"
If you are not confident,you will always find a reason not to win"

No comments: